Washington State was brought into the United States of America in 1889. The government in Washington follows the pattern of the United States, with three branches.
The following positions are elected statewide within the Executive Branch:
- Governor - Christine Gregoire (D)
- Lt. Governor - Brad Owen (D)
- Secretary of State - Sam Reed (R)
- State Treasurer - Michael Murphy (D)
- State Auditor - Brian Sonntag (D)
- Attorney General - Rob McKenna (R)
- Commissioner of Public Lands - Doug Sutherland (R)
- Superintendent of Public Instruction - Terry Bergeson (NP)
- Insurance Commissioner - Mike Kreidler (D)
There are also numerous Boards and Commissions that operate at the state level.